Free Money at FusionCash!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekend fun!

I love to do activities with my son! I am always looking for things around town or close to home that are fairly cheap or free for us to do. I remember when I was younger, my mom was very creative in finding activities for my sister and I to do, and it definitely made for some good memories and happy times in my childhood. These are the things I'm trying to give my son. I want him to look back fondly on his childhood. I feel that all the things my mom introduced me to made me a more well-rounded adult.

Which brings me to this weekend! This morning, Jaden went to Storytime at the Library. They are doing their Thanksgiving activities and I excited to see what craft project he will bring home to hang on the refrigerator! It may sound silly to some people but I look at all the finger paintings, coloring pages, and construction paper crafts and see a little budding artist! Then at some point today, I thought we would make construction paper chains with fall colors! Yesterday, Jaden and I did a project together that was really fun and also taught Jaden to be giving and caring during the holidays. We wrote letters of encouragement to soldiers in Christmas cards!  We are definitely a family who supports the military since my husband served in the US Navy and Jesse's brother is currently serving our country in the US Navy as well! So when I found a service that accepts and the distributes the cards, I decided it would be a great project for Jaden and I! If you are interested doing this project with your child(ren), here is the info you need.

The American Red Cross and Pitney Bowes are teaming up for the fifth year to distribute greeting cards to members of the US Armed Forces and veterans during the 2011 holiday season. Here's how you can help!


  1. Make or purchase the cards you'd like to send. Up to 15 for individuals, up to 50 for a school/classroom project. Consider making your cards non-denominational to take into account the varying beliefs of service men and women. You do not need to write "Any Soldier" on the outside of the card envelope.
  2. Bundle your cards or place them in a large envelope.
  3. Mail the cards to:   Holiday Mail for Heroes   PO Box 5456,   Capitol Heights, MD   20791-5456
  4. Postmark your cards by December 10. If your cards are not postmarked by the date, they will not be delivered to soldiers.
Jaden and I wrote a short thank you in each card, included a patriotic sticker, and Jaden signed his own name to make it as personal as possible. I went to the post office and got a large flat rate envelope, put our bundle of 15 cards in it, and paid the flat-rate of $4.95 to send it.

It was a fun but also educational project! And we did it together! Now I need to plan out our next project!

Until next time,

Tammy




No comments:

Post a Comment